Monday, March 17, 2014

Uh oh, is that a hole in the roof of Avery's mouth?

So I was changing Avery's diaper the other day and she was crying. Her mouth was wide open and I looked inside and saw what looked like a slit/hole in the roof of her mouth. I couldn't tell if that was just her scar from the cleft palate surgery or if there really was a hole there. I showed Tim when he got home and he agreed that it looked like a hole. I called Dr Doumit's office and he added us onto the schedule the next day.  Waiting for this appointment was horrible. I had so much anxiety and worry going through my mind. It took Avery over 2 weeks to start eating anything by mouth after her cleft palate surgery and I was worried we would have to go through this all over again.

Dr Doumit checked Avery out and she does, in fact, have a hole in the roof of her mouth. He said she has a fistula and he is "not impressed by it". He is unsure if it goes through all of the layers of tissue in her mouth or if its just in the first layer. He said he is 95% sure that it will close on its own. She does still have milk/food come out of her nose once in awhile.  I am so happy and relieved that she doesn't need surgery at this point. I asked Dr Doumit if the hole in her mouth is the reason she is still having trouble hearing and he said no. He said pretty much every child with a cleft palate has ear issues so even if the hole was closed, she would still have problems with her ears.

 We go see ENT on March 25. You better believe I will be having them clean out Avery's ears since they didn't do it last time. I am still mad they didn't do it the last time she was there. They said her one ear was full of wax. Do they just expect them to clean themselves? I am going to ask if there is a way we can clean them at home as well.

Check out this video of when I climbed on Chewie. Be sure to watch it all the way to the end


Congrats Uncle Greg and (soon to be Aunt) Lauren. I am so happy you are marrying Lauren. We had lots of fun together when she would babysit me!

Mommy and I playing in the kitchen. Ignore the fact that I don't have pants on

More fun in the kitchen

Playing in my car

I was comparing the size of my foot with Mommy's

Mommy let me play with a box of crayons. I spent a half hour trying to see how many I could hold at one time

I am supposed to be using this lion push toy to learn to walk. Instead, I just like pushing his nose to make him Roar

We went to Applebees to eat the other day. Daddy had fish n chips, Mommy had pasta, and I had banana oatmeal...Mmmmmmm!

I helped Mommy with the laundry on Sunday

Look how long my hair is getting!

I love when Mommy and Daddy put puffs in my music table..though Chewie and Scarlett always push the lid up and steal them!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!


Daddy said now I know what its like to be as tall as Mommy. Check out my cool Scooby Doo jammies

No comments:

Post a Comment