Monday, July 28, 2014

A Second Opinion

It is hard to believe that Avery's page has over 60,000 page views!


Last week we went to have a second opinion about Avery’s ears. We decided to go to University Hospitals (competitor of the Cleveland Clinic). We wanted to make sure they got the same results at Cleveland Clinic when it came to Avery’s hearing loss. We were hesitant to go there before because it is possible that we will have to pay some of the bill. (When we go to CC, the bill is completely paid for, including the copay)

We met the Audiologist and she was very nice. We were there about an hour and they did a few tests on Avery. Towards the end Avery was getting antsy so I gave her some marshmallows to eat while she was doing the hearing tests. She started just throwing them all over the floor. (She sometimes does this at home in her highchair when she has had enough and the dogs love it!) The audiologist and audiology student(?) Came in and picked up all the marshmallows for me! They got the same results that Cleveland Clinic did. They think she could hear about 40-50 decibels and it is muffled. They think it is just fluid. She asked if we ever had a CT on Avery’s ears and we said no but when she had the tubes put in last year, they said her ears “looked normal”. I asked if there was anything else to do for the fluid besides tubes since we had such a horrible experience with them last time. She asked if we ever tried allergy meds. I asked if allergies could cause her ears to be blocked with fluid and she said absolutely. When she said that I heard the infamous “ahhhh” sound in my head and the heavens parted…lol. We were upset that all ENT’s that we saw at the Cleveland Clinic (3-4 people) would hear the word “fluid” and only give us the option of tubes. They never even thought about the possibility of allergies causing it.

The audiologist said that we need to find out why she is getting the fluid. Allergies/allergy meds might not be the answer, but if we tried it for a month or two and it doesn’t help, we could rule that out. I am happy we went to get a second opinion. I feel like we are much closer to getting an answer as to why she has the fluid and I am optimistic and hoping it is just allergies.

We are going to be talking to her pediatrician to see if we can get her on some allergy meds.

My first Indians game!

I really liked the fresh cut fries

Mmmm fries

This place is weird. There is a pig wearing a baseball hat right behind me

Hanging out in the nosebleed section!

I was having a good time eating popcorn and then throwing it at the people in front of me. 

I love the water table

Ummm I may have gotten into the drawer while Mommy was showering.

Peek a boo

Chewie was thirsty so I decided to share my bottle with him.

Daddy took me and the dogs for a walk

Playing with the water table and my cousins

I climbed up on the lion all by myself while carrying my treat cup

Getting into trouble

We went to the park and Kaitlin pushed me on the swings

Hey guys, lets smile for a picture for Mommy

Kaitlin and Eddie came over to play while Aunt Janet and Uncle George went to dinner for their anniversary

Making cards for their anniversary

I may or may not have gotten more marker on myself than on the card I made for them

Shopping with my friend Aria

I choose fruit over Rice Krispie treats. I love fruit!

One of my favorite things to do right now is draw/write

This is one of my favorite toys right now…a fake magna doodle

I was showing off my cute shorts that look like a skirt…and I am not holding on to anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment