Thursday, September 10, 2015

First Day of Preschool

Avery started special ed preschool last week. We had orientation on Monday and her first day was last Tuesday. She goes for 2 ½ hours a day. She then takes a school bus to daycare. Tim and I both took off of work to take her to school her first day. Its unbelievable the amount of school supplies a preschooler needs. There was no way she would have been able to carry all of that in by herself. We walked her in (well really carried her), took her supplies to her room and then waited with the other kids on the bench in the hallway. What’s nice is that when you drop your child off in the morning, teachers and assistants will get your child out of your car and then walk them into school, to their teacher’s specified bench. Avery was very shy but she didn’t cry. There were some kids who were screaming.

Including Avery, there are 9 kids in her class..6 girls and 3 boys. There is a mix of kids with special needs and “role model” students (students without special needs). I am very optimistic because I think she will finally be getting the help she needs. She will see the speech pathologist 2 times a week and also get Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy. I have heard from quite a few people about how good this school is so I am really excited for her.

While Avery was in preschool, we went home for a few hours and then met her school bus at daycare so I could take a picture of Avery riding the bus for the first time. Needless to say, she wasn’t very excited about it. You can see for yourself in the picture below..lol.

She also got moved up in her class at daycare to junior preschool. I wasn’t sure about her being ready but I was informed it wasn’t much different than her previous class. Also, around 9 students from her current class moved up to junior preschool. They still get all the meals, snacks and nap time as before. Really the only difference is this is the room she will learn to be potty trained in. She won’t be able to move out of this class until she is potty trained so I have a feeling she will be in here for a while. Tuesday was her first day in her new room at daycare and the teacher told Tim that Avery was the best eater out of the whole class! I asked him if she knew which child was Avery. I also heard from my brother in law, who works at the daycare, that she ate really well. 


Preschool orientation. These kids are huge!


Speaking of huge...this sign is huge!

Ready for my first day!

Picture with Mommy..


...and Daddy

Look at me, don't I look excited to be on the bus? At least the girl next to me was happy. I got a "I had a rockin first day" hat too but I didn't want it to mess up my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment