Monday, April 15, 2019

It’s definitely spring time!

We had some chicks hatch the other day! One hatched early Saturday morning and two more hatched early Sunday morning. We think we have one more that is still going to hatch. I looked at the remaining six eggs and picked one up and it started peeping!

It was definitely a cool thing to experience. I woke up early Sunday morning (at two am) and walked into the kitchen and I saw one of the chicks had hatched and it couldn’t walk. I thought it had splayed legs. I went back to bed and woke up a few hours later and another chick had hatched and they were both walking around ok. I must have seen that other one right when it came out of the egg. I was relieved to see it walking around normally in the incubator.

When the first chick hatched, Avery was soooo excited. She couldn’t stop watching it. We asked what she wanted to name it and she said cheeseburger! So on Sunday when the other two hatched, I asked Reagan what she wanted to name one of them and she said she didn’t know. I told her Avery named hers after a food she liked and I asked Reagan what food she likes..so now we have Bacon. Lol. I decided to go with the food theme and named the third chicken Tater. Not sure what we will name the 4th if it hatches. I looked in the incubator and picked up all the eggs to see if any had cracks. One had a crack and I picked it up and it started peeping! Fingers crossed it hatches.

We were worried they weren’t going to hatch because at first, we had issues verifying the humidity of the incubator. We decided to buy a cheap $9 hygrometer (humidity monitor) from Amazon and it has helped tremendously.

I am still amazed we hatched three chicks! So far all the chicks are black and one of them has feathers on their legs/feet (cheeseburger).

****I wrote the draft of this blog on Sunday and woke up Monday to a new little chick peeping loudly. This one looks much different than the others. She (hopefully she’s a she) is much lighter and almost a grayish color. Yet to be named ***

Our first chick that hatched. The peeping was so loud!




Cheeseburger when she first hatched. You let them sit in the incubator until they dry off and fluff up



Here she is all dry and in the plastic tote. She has a black beak with a little orange.

This is Tater. She has an orange beak.


Here are Cheeseburger's feathered legs/feet


This is the newest chick that has grey feathers.





No comments:

Post a Comment