Wednesday, September 4, 2019

NICU Awareness Month

September is NICU Awareness Month so I will be sharing random pictures that pop up on my Facebook memories.

I have said before that I wouldn’t wish the nicu on my worst enemy. It can be a scary and depressing place.In a way, people with babies in the nicu have suffered a loss. The loss of a normal pregnancy, not being able to take your baby home when you get discharged, not being able to hold your baby when they are born, sometime for hours, days or even weeks.

 The nicu was our home away from home for a combined 173 days (132 days for Avery and 41 days for Reagan). We were there every single day. I went back to work two weeks after I had Avery so I could save my time when she finally came home from the nicu. Tim and I were both working full time, then driving the 45 minutes minutes each way to the hospital. It was exhausting! We also never knew what we were going to find when we arrived. The kids could have been having a really good day or a really bad day. It is full of ups and downs.

But, it is also an amazing place and I feel lucky we got to be part of that special group of people. No one knows what it’s like unless you have experienced it for yourself. At times it sucks, but at times it is incredible.  Not everyone gets to see their child develop outside of the womb and it’s truly amazing.

(Most of these pics will be of Avery because she was born Aug 30 and the pics show up on my Memories on Facebook but I will go back and get some of Reagan as well)




Avery a few days old, compared to Tim's hand

So many wires and tubes and monitors


Avery's tiny footprints. This was when she was almost a week old

She was born so early she was still covered in lanugo(hair) all over and her one eye was still fused shut

No comments:

Post a Comment