Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A new set of ears

Avery received her hearing aids on Dec 17. We learned how to put them in, clean them and take care of them. We were so excited to put them in and turn them on for the first time. I got my video camera ready and they turned them on and…..nothing. I was expecting a big reaction like the viral videos you see on You Tube of kids hearing for the first time. I was surprised that once they are in her ears, Avery does not touch them. They don’t seem to bother her at all. We did have some issues with feedback while we were at the appointment. The minute you would get your head close to hers you would hear feedback like from a microphone. It was horrible. They adjusted some settings and it seems to be better.

After observing her using them for a couple of days, I would say that they seem to be helping. When you call her name, she seems to respond quicker and more frequently than she did prior to having the hearing aids. I am hoping to get better at putting them in. There is a great deal of feedback when putting them in so we have been leaving the battery door open until they are in her ears and then once they are in place we close it. This helps limit the amount of feedback.

We did get BCMH to cover everything that my insurance through the Cleveland Clinic will not. We are very grateful for this because it includes her hearing aids, molds, exams, and batteries.

Avery seems to be communicating with us more. She used to do this hand movement when she was all done eating and now she does the hand movement and says “all done” The “done” part doesn’t sound exactly like done but she has got the “all” part down pat. She babbles and babbles and I can’t wait for her to start saying more things.

Right now she says (or we think she says):
Hi
Momma
All Done
Lily (our cat)
Up
I love you (most people might not pick up on this but Tim and I have heard it)
Good night (again, Tim and I know this is what she is saying)

I am probably missing a few things but she is getting there.

We took Avery to see Santa last week. She wasn’t a fan of him but she didn’t cry. Santa said she was very well behaved for a two year old. We have been having quite a few people tell us how well behaved she is. The dentist said she did so good and so did the audiologist. Now if we could just get her to be a little less shy we would be all set.


We hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Fingers crossed that we will not be spending Christmas in the hospital like we did last year.

These puppies love me. The treats I am holding in my hand have nothing to do with it.

I love Charlie Brown Christmas. I should probably get closer to the tv

Hanging out at the Audiologist's office. Hmmm, I wonder what this button does.

Check out my new ears!

Hey babydoll, this is Chewie. He is my best friend and will even let you lay on him

My hearing aids light up and Mommy likes to sing Rudolph around me...You would even say she glows.

Nothing to see here

Mommy and her Pinterest addiction. I think my hand print looks pretty cool..the faces and hats she drew on the snowmen, not so much.

I decided to be a girly girl for the day and let Mommy paint my nails.

Fun with Mommy

Chewie and I decided it would be a good idea to head butt each other. My forehead didn't agree.

Daddy, thanks for buying me and Scarlett new beds for Christmas. Chewie, I don't know where you are going to sleep.


That suit must be warm because he smells funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment