Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Day 35 at Home- February 13, 2013

We have had 3 doctors appointments in the last 3 days. It has been overwhelming and looking at the number of appointments she has in the future is even more overwhelming.

Monday we went to the pediatrician. He was happy with the amount of weight she is gaining. Looking at the growth chart, he said by the time she is between 9 and 12 months she will be caught up weight wise with "normal" babies. We had to make another appointment in 2 weeks for her 6 month check up. I can't believe she is almost 6 months old already!

Tuesday we had two appointments. The first was with the most beautiful doctor in America, Dr Seifarth..lol. He said her g tube looks really good. She will need to get it replaced with a larger one in about a month. As Avery grows and gets fatter around her tummy, the tube from her stomach to the outside of her body won't be long enough so she needs to get it replaced. The doctor also recommends we keep the feeding tube in for a year. He said most parents get it taken out too soon and then if it needs to be put back in, it's a whole new surgery. When she eventually gets it taken out, the hole in her stomach closes up(and doesn't need stitches) within about 5 hours. He said she should keep it in a year but that doesn't mean we have to use it that long. She will need to get it replaced every 4-6 months because she will be growing like a weed.

After the pediatric surgeon appointment, we had about 20 minutes to spare between our next appointment. We tried bottle feeding Avery at Main Campus. We decided not to lug around her feeding pump and supplies. She didn't do so well feeding out in public.

Next we had the audiologist appointment for her hearing test. This test was not fun. Avery had to be completely still and sleeping for it. This took forever to get her calmed down and sleeping. Avery doesn't really take naps during the day so this was difficult. After 1 hour and 45 minutes, the audiologist had most of the information she needed. She said Avery can hear but not at the level they want her to. They compared her hearing with being underwater. You can still hear but it's very muffled. She seems to think that the sound goes in her ear and just stops, that it doesn't go far enough in where it needs to go. She said she doesn't know if the hearing loss is permanent or not or it could be due to the cleft palate. She is having us make an appointment with the pediatric ENT to see if there is fluid in there, a blockage, or something wrong with her ears. We will then repeat the hearing test after seeing ENT. So there are two more appointments we had to make.

In the next month, she has 10 appointments scheduled, one of those being somewhat of a surgery(to replace the g tube) and 2 others involving shots. Needless to say, she is not going to be a happy camper. She already has multiple appointments scheduled for after I go back to work. It sucks because I won't be able to go to any of them because I won't have any PTO or FMLA left.

On Friday we have an appointment with Dr. Doumit who is the craniofacial surgeon (cleft palate doctor).  Sorry for the long post. Here are a few pictures..

This is me during the horrible hearing test. I had wires all over me and things in my ears.
 
This is my first real battle wound on my left cheek. Mommy cut my nails but they were sharp and I cut my face. Don't mind my huge belly hanging out of my shirt!


We were all watching tv and I fell asleep on the couch and they took this picture of me.

Daddy and I were laying on the ground together. (See Barb Kasik, I do love the monkey!)

No comments:

Post a Comment