Monday, December 23, 2013

Main campus day one ... Again

They transported Avery to main Campus yesterday afternoon and she was placed on the regular Pediatric floor. They said the X-ray from Fairview seemed to be bronchial related which is what was happening a few weeks ago. They decided they were just going to give her a few breathing treatments. Avery always responds well to breathing treatments but she did need to get put on oxygen. As of last night she was on 1 liter of oxygen but she didn't have an IV in. They gave her some Tylenol last night because she had a fever of 100.8. Last night was ROUGH. Avery could not get comfortable. She was up every five minutes and I'm not exaggerating. Every time she woke up, I woke up to try to see if I could make her more comfortable. During the night they took her temp again and it was down to 95.8. Somehow she became hypothermic. They raised the temp in the room and brought a bunch of blankets to try to keep her warm and raise her temp. It's hard to keep blankets on a baby that is constantly moving around because she isn't comfortable. This morning they decided to start an IV to give her fluids and an antibiotic. They didn't want to start the antibiotic until they did a urinalysis and urine culture. (The antibiotic would alter the urine and kill the bacteria if there was any in it and then the urine test would come back negative even if she originally had a UTI). Seeing them try twice to get a catheter in Avery was not fun. Third time is a charm I guess and they finally got some urine.

They then gave her a round of Rocephin, an antibiotic that treats bacterial infections. She had been eating 2oz here and there of formula. She also ate some chocolate pudding which she really seemed to like. 

The afternoon/early evening was much better than last night/this morning. She seemed much more comfortable and was playing with a book. Then Santa Claus stopped by. It was nice of the Children's Hospital to have him stop by and bring gifts for every child on the floor. Avery received two stuffed bears and a camera that blows bubbles when you take a picture. 

The doctors' main concern is Avery's temperature. They aren't sure why she went from having a temp to it being hypothermic. They aren't as worried about her breathing this time because she seems to be doing well with the breathing treatments and oxygen. The plan is to wean Avery off the oxygen and keep her in the hospital until they get the results back of the urine test and blood work to make sure she doesn't have any bacterial infections. They said hopefully those results will be back by Christmas morning and we can go home Christmas afternoon. I hope so because I am getting tired of spending holidays in the hospital. 

Tonight is Tim's night to spend with Avery in the hospital. When I left, they weaned her down to .5L of oxygen and she was doing well. 

My work has been so awesome with all of this. They told me to work wherever is most convenient for me. Tomorrow my plan is to work at my normal work location for a few hours and then spend the rest of the day working from Avery's hospital room at main campus. I am very grateful that they are so understanding. It needs to be spring/summer so Avery stops getting sick!!

The nice guy from the critical care transport team put up a sign telling people not to touch the inside of my mouth.

Snuggling with Mommy

My presents from Santa. This was right when I started feeling better though it doesn't look like it from this picture. 

Mmmmm pudding! I ended up getting pudding everywhere, all over my gown, my face, my cannula. Then I sneezed when I was eating it and some even came out my nose. 

Mommy and Daddy brought one of my Christmas presents to the hospital. It's tv espisodes of my favorite movie called Barnyard. There is a DVD player in my room so I can watch it while lying in bed.

The presents and tree are ready (except for the crooked star at the top). Now I just need to come home and spend Christmas with mommy and daddy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment