Friday, December 6, 2013

Night Four at the Hospital

Avery seem really good today. They took her off her cannula and is now not receiving any oxygen support! She is breathing very well on her own. They also removed her IV. This makes things much easier when picking her up. At rounds today they said the other day she was "this close" to getting intubated. We are so grateful she didn't have to. They said they are going to see how she does resuming her feeds and without oxygen and fingers crossed we might be able to come home tomorrow. Hopefully they won't transfer us to the general Peds floor and make us spend another night. Avery got a bath today which was good because she was getting stinky.. Lol. She hasn't had a bath since Sunday or Monday. I'm sure that made her feel a little better as well.

I ended up complaining to the nurse this morning about how nobody was telling us anything. It wasn't necessarily her fault because she was very good and attentive to Avery but I kind of let her have it. They didn't change her diaper once during the night even though she woke up multiple times. I ended up changing it at 8 this morning and it weighed 162 grams (normally they weigh around 40). Then she had her pulse ox in the same spot for two days straight. They should be changing the position at least every 12 hours so it doesn't burn her skin. I remember in the Nicu they would change  the position during every hands on. It just seems very unorganized and makes me appreciate Hillcrest even more (except of course for the nurse manager there).  I also asked if the doctors ever come in and look at Avery. I think I have seen one, one time on the first day in the PICU come into her room. At least Tim or I are here at ALL times and we have never seen the doctors who are supposed to be following her beside that one time. Dr. Doumit (her surgeon) has come to check on her 3 times since we got here on Tuesday. He doesn't need to come see her but he actually cares about his patients. 

Ok I am done complaining. I am so happy Avery is feeling better. We cannot wait to get out of here. I think we are going to keep Avery locked up in the house until spring because I don't ever want this to happen again. I am so, so so happy that Tim said to take her to the ER on Tuesday. I give him all the credit that he noticed she just wasn't right. What a good Daddy :-)

No cannula in her nose!

Watching cartoons in bed

Playing with her gift from St Nick. No IV in her hand.

How could I not take a picture of this awesome hair?

This is so true :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment