Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Day 119 in the NICU- December 26, 2012

Well, today is Avery's last night at Hillcrest. She is being transferred to Children's Rehab tomorrow. They are going to work with her on bottle feeding for the next two weeks. After two weeks, they are then going to decide if she needs a G tube in her stomach, more therapy, or is ready to come home. I am happy we finally have a game plan. I am a little hesitant with her going there though because the thought of them transporting her scares me. Plus it's not in the greatest of neighborhoods and she is most likely going to have a roommate. Having a roommate scares me because that means other visitors will be coming into her room and I can't tell them not to come in. What if they are sick and get her sick? I am excited for her to go there though because it will be a much needed change of scenery for her. She has been in Room 22 for the past 14 weeks(the first 2 weeks she was in room 2) and only had a chance to see something different when getting her MRI and swallow study in a different part of the hospital.

Avery had a hearing test today. She passed in her left ear and they said it was inconclusive in her right ear. She will need to have a follow up audiologist appointment in 30 days. She also was supposed to be getting part of her 4 month vaccinations today and will get part of them tomorrow.

My friend Jen whose twin daughters were in the NICU sent me the below article. It's about a woman who had a baby at 23 weeks and had to decide if they should try to save her or let her go. It is a lengthy article but if you have the time, I highly recommend you read it. It is probably one of the best articles written if you would like to get a perspective on what it's like to be a NICU parent. There are 3 different parts of the story and there are some pictures and video as well.
www.tampabay.com/neverletgo

Mommy took a picture of me getting my hearing test. 

I was sound asleep when Mommy left to go drive home in the blizzard.



No comments:

Post a Comment