Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 127 in the NICU- January 3, 2013

Avery did well with the Pedialyte so they started giving her formula through the G tube. Everything seems to be okay. She still has a raspy cry which could be from the breathing tube during surgery. Tim and I both think she sounds very stuffy. I mentioned it to the nurse but she didn't really seem to care. We will definitely keep an eye on it in case it gets worse. Avery also sneezed about 10 times when I was there. I would wince every time, imagining it must really hurt her stomach but she handled it like a champ. Formula came out of her nose 5 out of those 10 sneezes.

 Speaking of formula, they did end up changing her formula from Enfacare to Neosure. They are basically the same thing but just made by different companies. We didn't think Avery tolerated the Enfacare because she was always so gassy and uncomfortable and seemed to hate the taste when trying to bottle feed her. I am not sure if the Neosure is going to work either. Today when she was getting it through the g tube, Avery would move her mouth like she was tasting something and then I would smell formula. I don't know if it's refluxing up into her mouth or what. It could be that they are giving it to her faster now. At Hillcrest she was getting a feed over 45 minutes and now she is getting it over 30 minutes so maybe she is having a little trouble keeping up.

The NICU nurse manager suggested we stay overnight either on Saturday or Sunday. She said they hope to have Avery discharged towards the beginning of next week! Tim and I just want her home already. We are so exhausted from working and visiting everyday.

Our main goal in the next few days is to learn how to use the g tube and the pump that goes along with it.

This is the best picture Mommy could get of the g tube because I kept moving around. The purple part stays where its at but the tan part and tube come off. Then there is a little flap part that folds over and closes it off.

This is the new pump that Daddy and Mommy will have to learn how to use in order to feed me

I am almost smiling. I can't believe I still have the tape on my face from my cannula. I don't need that silly thing anymore. They can take the tape off my chubby cheeks. Check out the background of this picture. That is my car seat. I can't wait to sit in it because that means I am one step closer to coming home. Sometime in the next few days I will do the car seat test where I have to sit in it for 90 minutes.

 Look at how pretty my eyes are!

2 comments:

  1. I am thankful to get to read your blog as our stories were similar and we are faced with the same ending outcomes now. Our son wont take his full bottles. How are you adjusting to the gtube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me more about what's going on with your son? We are doing well with the gtube. It's not hard, just tedious, priming it, rinsing it out after each feeding, changing the bag once a day, etc. Whatever formula Avery doesn't take from the bottle, we put it through the gtube. I sometimes feel that then the next feeding, she won't take anything from a bottle because she isn't hungry because we forced the food in her. Its like a double edged sword. I am happy it's there since she finally got to come home from the hospital because of it but I don't like it for the fact that I think she is going to have a much more difficult time learning to bottle feed now since we have the gtube as a back up. If you ever want to email me to discuss anything, you can at susansvitak@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete