Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day 13 in the NICU- September 11, 2012

Avery is still on the nasal cannula. I wouldn't say she likes it but is tolerating it. She has pulled it out of her nose a few times. She is feisty like her mommy. She has lost weight and is now 1 pound 5 oz. They said that she is using a lot more energy/calories being on the cannula than on the ventilator because she has to do the breathing on her own. They increased her feeding to 1cc every 2 hours so hopefully she will start gaining some weight.

I got to do kangaroo care (skin to skin) yesterday and today. It was a little scary because she is so small (she weighs less than a kitten). They told me that she likes to move around a lot and to hold on to her tight. She calmed down as soon as they put her on me and it was like she knew she was with her mommy. Her stats were really good when she was on me so we hung out for about an hour and a half each time.

Avery says that she can't wait to have kangaroo care with daddy hopefully tomorrow!
 
 
This is my first time laying on mommy. I really enjoyed it. I wish I didn't have velcro stuck to my head so the picture would be better but that's what keeps my sunglasses on



3 comments:

  1. Hi Susan, I work with your mom. I just wanted to say how amazing you are!! I loved reading your blog. We are all sending multitudes of prayers to baby Avery. Stay strong, I can see you are…(you must get it from your mom) …you are already one heck of a mommy, and sweet little Avery is very lucky to have you guys as her parents!! God Bless Mommy, Daddy and Baby!

    ~Denise M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of all of you Sue, we are all thinking of you guys every day. Wish we could be there for you and we look forward to the day when we can meet this incredible little girl.

    Love you guys,

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why it's not letting me reply to people's comments.

    Thanks Denise. I can't wait till she is big enough to bring up to see my mom and you at the hospital!

    Thanks Nick. Too bad we don't live closer and our kids could all grow up together. We should all get together every few years. I don't want the next time we get together to be at Keora's wedding! lol

    ReplyDelete